One example of this was challenge 3 where you were given a string that may or may not have a file extension. You needed to write a condition to output the extension if there was one or false if there was no file extension. This at first seemed straight forward however, it can quickly become tricky. At first, I simply used the splice method by “.” and then since that puts it into an array you can quickly return the file extension through the index notation. However, you could also check using the indexOf to check the array for the presence of “.”
I just read such an inspiring posting about a documentary that is currently in the making to showcase and spread the stories of incredible women who have succeeded in the tech start up world. Some of the stories they listed were absolutely amazing, women creating businesses and showing their programming skills as well. After reading these stories I am incredibly inspired and just by reading about other successful women who have tackled programming challenges and able to see so many women with the courage to make their own businesses is so incredibly inspiring. I can’t wait to see this documentary when it is completed. I think this was a very much needed boost as I continue through my coding journey here at MakerSquare.
You can read more about the documentary here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/she-started-it-a-documentary-on-women-founders
Hope this inspires you as much as it did for me.
Yesterday, MakerSquare held a seminar on design and thanks to the wonderful Elyse Holladay she gave an awesome presentation and tools that I want to share.
If you are starting out a project the first thing you should do is get your basic layout set. The best tool to do this is to use borders around all your divs so you can be sure you aren’t using a CSS trick to visually fix any issues but actually solving your issue. So beware with CSS tricks that look like they solved the problem but they just hide your real problem and then if you have to expand on your layout you will run into problems.
Begin any CSS project using borders, using a code playground, and begin with your basic layout before diving too deeply into your styling. These are the tips that I have learned this past week in my studies at MakerSquare and I hope they will help you as much as they did for me. I didn’t like CSS until I learned these steps and tools. So thank you MakerSquare and Elyse Holladay for relieving my CSS anxiety!
This past week I learned how to use an API with Ruby! It is amazingly easy so here are the steps.
Go to http://rdoc.info or https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/ to search for the API. Both sources are reliable and have an extensive collection with documentation. Searching for your gem is so easy!
For ruby-toolbox, this is how your screen will look. This gives you information regarding the gem version, release date, bug tracker, pretty much all the info you could possibly want. Then it gives you the github link as well as the rdoc link.
When you click on the Rubygem, you be taken to this page https://rubygems.org/gems/twitter This gives you instructions on installing the gem. Pretty easy so far!
The documentation link (this link appears on both screens at step 2 and 3) re-directs you to the rdoc page that explains in detail the functions available to you with this gem.
This includes further installation instructions:
a quick start guide (with a link to registering your application so you don’t have to search around for that!):
….and the best part gives you usage examples that are INCREDIBLY helpful. This allows you to see all the methods available to you while using this gem. Pretty awesome!
After installing the gem, registering your application with Twitter, finish configuring with the authentication codes you received during registration. Follow the configuration format provided in the quickstart section listed previously. Don’t forget to require your gem in your ruby document.
That’s it! You are set up with the Twitter API gem. This instructions can easily work with any API you are hoping to use in your ruby code.
This past weekend I completed my first hackathon at MakerSquare.
Check out my group’s app at: tweet-o-phone.herokuapp.com
The app is basically like a game of telephone through Twitter and Giphy. You give a word then Tweet-o-Phone searches Twitter for a tweet with that word. Then takes that tweet and chooses a random word from it to give to Giphy. The ouput is a hilarious gif that may or may not be related to your original search….so fun to see how things get translated through social media.
We used the Twitter and Giphy Ruby gems. I have to say that the gems make it really easy to access the data you need. It was a blast!